The Indie Equation

The Unholy Marriage of Music and Math.

4.13.2006

Equation #22: Wolf Parade



Wolf Parade


So, first off let me say that (1) I'm sorry that it took me 6 months to post a new equation and (2) I REALLY appreciate all the notes and comments telling me that people still occasionally glance at my work while I'm off doing other things. I'm going to do my best to keep them coming as often as I can because I really do enjoy this and it keeps my music brain sharp.

That being said, let's talk a bit about Wolf Parade. On their record "Apologies to the Queen Mary" it takes approximatly 4 seconds to get hooked by Arlen Thompson's dry, stripped down drum stomp and after the dirge-like keys and bass come in at 12 seconds you'll be gluing your cd player's tray closed. The goodies don't stop there however. The rest of the album mixes some dancy indie with a few arena rock ballads all the while frosted with Dan Boeckner and Spencer Krugs' fractured, stuffy-nosed yelps that reminded me a bit of Bowie and a bit of Beck but with more energy. Overall this is one of the best albums of 2005. Stand out tracks: "You Are a Runner and I Am My Father's Son", "Shine a Light", "I'll Believe in Anything", "It's a Cure".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home